Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Yes! Like a Woman, I Change My Mind...


It's always great when you take a position, you are resolute, and...well...something makes you, well, not resolute anymore.

I am off of the BCS. That's right, I am no longer embracing that farce. This excellent piece of sarcasm slapped me back to reality.

One might ask why that is the case. Seriously, it is only days after I laid out a case for accepting the BCS as something that "I could get with."

Well, a Congressman from Texas has swooped in to save me from from myself. To show me that even in the most dire of times, there is always hope. My new BFF, U.S. Representative Joe Barton (Rep-TX) has introduced a bill that essentially looks to destroy the BCS. I couldn't be happier if I had six strippers, a hot tub and eight plasma tv's at my disposal.

I guess this means that I should lay out the definitive proposal for a college football playoff system. Clearly, the world is at odds over how it should look and the format that ESPN is currently running with is 100% wrong. It can't work because college administrators won't let it work.

Let me clear your confusion and tell you how a playoff system will work.

First, college administrators will not support a system that a) does not reward the regular season, and b) does not utilize the current bowl (or BCS) structure. Second, the BCS conferences HAVE to buy into anything that is proposed -- in other words, you have to pry the Rose Bowl from the decaying hands of the Big Ten and Pac10 Conferences. Third, this sucker must make money.

Having said that, here is my proposal:

I am proposing an eight team playoff that includes the following -- the winners of the six BCS conferences, the top team from the next four conferences (mid-majors), and Notre Dame (if they qualify) or the second mid-major team. The BCS standings would not be publicized until after Thanksgiving weekend and they would be used to determine the seedings.

I would add two more games to the BCS -- this would possibly be a rotation of the existing BCS cities so that two cities would get two rounds of the playoff and one city would get three rounds including the championship. This would limit the expenditure of any team advancing through the bracket.

I think that this would work. It satisfies any issue that a school/conference has traditionally had and it does nothing but generate cash. Who is not paying to see this?

Here is the flaw -- My system really does reward only teams that have great regular seasons. I am only taking conference champions. I don't care how a conference determines its champion, but it can't send more than one team.

Yes, you are interpreting that correctly. Under my system, Texas does not get to compete for a National Championship this year. Tough nooggies. But you know what? As good as I think Texas is, you have to make stops with seconds remaining in a game. Period.

Three rounds of games. That's it. Not 64 teams, no wild cards. Win your conference, then win a National Championship. Its the only way.

2 comments:

  1. Playoff is definitely preferable, but I don't think this playoff system actually contradicts your previous stance. Your thesis was simply that the BCS was better than what came before, not that it was the optimal method for determining a national champ.

    How about determining a BCS formula to decide on every single year what the top 8 conferences are for that year, and each of those champions make the 8 team playoffs? If that means Notre Dame is left out every year, I can live with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and by the way - you are just like a woman!

    ReplyDelete