Wednesday, December 10, 2008

This Day in Sports History


As the Hot Stove League heats up with stories of C.C. Sabathia signing with the New York Yankees (like none of us saw this coming - really, "I want to play on the West Coast", "I want to stay in the National League where I can hit", I mean "I want to make a boatload of money!"), and Francisco Rodriguez cashing in with the New York Mets, let us gaze into yesteryear into what eventually turned out to be one of the most lopsided trades ever made during the baseball off-season.

On December 10, 1971, the New York Mets traded talented, but wild pitcher Nolan Ryan along with three other players to the artists formerly known as the California Angels for, drum roll please ...., Jim Fregosi. Let me repeat that for those of you that just fell on the floor and bumped your head causing short term memory loss. The Mets traded Nolan Ryan to the California Angles for Jim Fregosi.

All the Angels received was 138 wins, 156 complete games, 40 shutouts, 2,416 strikeouts, 5 All-Star appearances, and 4 No-Hitters in 8 years. Ryan eventually beat the hell out of Robin Ventura, and was ultimately elected to the Hall of Fame, on the first ballot. The Mets received, well, a future manager, who eventually managed, among others, Nolan Ryan.

I think that the Angels made out pretty well in that deal.

Is this the most lopsided trade in baseball history? I know Sinickal doesn't think so (Ernie Broglio for Lou Brock, right?). Place your worst trades ever in the comments. We don't even have to limit them to baseball.

1 comment:

  1. I will not post a worst trade ever here until we are truly into basketball season and I can remind everyone of Joe Barry Carroll.

    ReplyDelete