Thursday, December 11, 2008

Everybody's All-American


Ok, so maybe not everybody's All-American, but it is my list. So I am going to do this my way. Instead of just the best at each position, I will assemble a team, NFL-style 48 man roster. Starters in all caps, with explanations for those that I think need it. I am also going to be conscious about running this like a college (think "keeper league"), so that some of the backups may not be the second or third best at their position, but are freshmen and/or sophomores that will be returning for a couple of years. Plus, I can only base this upon what I have seen this year. Now granted, several bars and I become very good friends during football season, but I do see some teams more than others. You don't like it? So what, I don't care.


QB - COLT MCCOY - Texas, Sam Bradford - Oklahoma, Robert Griffin - Baylor

Yes I went with three Big 12 South QBs, but who can blame me as the Big 12 South ruled quarterback play this year. Did you want me to select David Johnson from Tulsa? Griffin gets the third nod over Tebow and Harrell, or even Nate Davis b/c he is a true freshman. An exceptional athlete (third in the 400 meter hurdles as a freshman - he enrolled a semester early - at the NCAA championships). He is going to be amazing. Just the player the All-American teams need in the pipeline.

RB - KNOWSHON MORENO - Georgia, Shonn Greene - Iowa, Donald Brown - Connecticut, Jacquizz Rodgers - Oregon State, Johnathan Dwyer - Georgia Tech, Percy Harvin - Florida

The first three should be self-explanatory. For Rodgers, he toasted the USC defense and is only a freshman. Harvin? Well, he deserves his spot on the team, and although technically classified as a WR, he has more rushing than receiving touchdowns, and is very effective carrying the ball. Besides, I could have easily had just named him a WR, and selected only 4 running backs. By the way, since this is college, no true fullback.

WR - MICHAEL CRABTREE - Texas Tech, DEZ BRYANT - Oklahoma State, A.J. GREEN - Georgia, Austin Collie - Brigham Young, Jeremy Maclin - Missouri, Darius Heyward-Bey - Maryland

Yes, Big 12 laden again, but so was most of the passing yards this season. A.J. Green may be a controversial pick, but I liked what I saw out of him a little more than Julio Jones. Maclin can double as the kick returner.

TE - JERMAINE GRESHEM - Oklahoma, Aaron Hernandez - Florida

Every time I turned around Hernandez was absolutely wide open.

OL - MICHAEL OHER - Mississippi, ANDRE SMITH - Alabama, DUKE ROBINSON - Oklahoma, JEREMY PERRY - Oregon State, CEDRIC DOKERY - Texas, Antoine Caldwell - Alabama, Phil Trautwein - Florida, A. Q. Shipley - Penn State

Who the hell knows? I wanted to pick a Pouncey from Florida, but I can't tell the difference between them anyway.

K - LOUIE SAKODA - Utah

I just couldn't pull the trigger on selecting the kid from Florida State (Gano). Besides, Sakoda can also punt if I want to later free up a roster spot.

DL - BRIAN ORAKPO - Texas, GEORGE SELVIE - South Florida, GREG HARDY - Mississippi, FILI MAOLA - USC, Myron Pryor - Kentucky, Austin English - Oklahoma, Everette Brown -Florida State, B.J. Raji - Boston College, Mitch King - Iowa

Yes, this is the beginning of lots of USC Defenders being selected.

LB - REY MAUALUGA - USC, BRANDON SPIKES - Florida, BRIAN CUSHING - USC, Mark Herzlich - Boston College, James Laurinaitis - Ohio State, Sean Spence - Miami

Spence is going to be a beast, plus, he is my one homer pick.

DB - ALPHONSO SMITH - Wake Forest, MALCOLM JENKINS - Ohio State, ERIC BERRY - Tennessee, TAYLOR MAYS - USC, Rashad Johnson - Alabama, William Moore - Missouri, Vontae Davis - Illinois

P - Let's just keep Sakoda

Any thoughts on your All-America team (not related to Tim Tebow)? Please place them in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment