Saturday, March 23, 2024

The SEC is the New Big Ten: The NCAA Block Squares Pool

I should start by giving thanks. I had to fly back to Washington DC from Phoenix AZ yesterday and I was able to watch most of the early window on live television on the airplane. Thank you Delta. 

Round 1 is now complete and I think the biggest takeaway has to be the bizarro world we are in that has the Big Ten performing well and the SEC being the dog of the power conferences. The SEC went 3-5 over the last two days and all five losses were loud! 

  • Kentucky being handled by Oakland
  • Auburn losing to an Ivy League school 
  • South Carolina getting blown out by Oregon
  • Florida giving up 102 points to Colorado
  • Mississippi State getting blown out by a Big Ten team in the first game
And all of this just a couple of days after the SEC Commissioner petitioned to remove bids for automatic qualifiers from smaller leagues to make more bids available for the "more competitive basketball leagues." 

Oh, and Kentucky fans don't seem to be taking this loss well as evidenced by this Twitter post:


On the other end of the spectrum, the Pac 12 minus 10 is currently 5-0, and the Big East is 3-0. 

As for the block squares, the $25 games are now complete and once again we have a few multiple winners in the pool. Leading the charge is Reggie Holt who already has 3 wins. As for you tournament host, we have now had 95 games played since I started this last year. I haven't even seen a game close enough to my numbers to root for an outcome. I am going to quit gambling shortly. You will all miss me when I am gone. 

Results for Day 2 are below:

Starting today, squares are worth $50 apiece. Good luck everyone! 

--Your Commissioner


No comments:

Post a Comment