Sunday, September 11, 2011

Picks of the Week



Welcome back to this year's "picks of the week" segment that will occur weekly at We Make It Rain. As a refresher, I like to keep track of what I would have earned had I actually bet on all of the games (since gambling is illegal). Each pick is using the spread (straight up is for wussies), and the betting line is from the same website each week as of the time of typing the entry. I will keep a running tally of my record, plus my winnings/losses. We will pretend that I bet $100 on each game, with one game each week going for $250. Winnings/Losses will be calculated including a 10% vig, which just makes the math that much simpler. On to the picks.

Green Bay Packers - 4 1/2 v. New Orleans Saints
See my entry from Thursday.

Atlanta Falcons -1 1/2 at Chicago Bears
The Falcons are loaded for Bear this year, and the addition of Julio Jones can only mean some easier catches for Roddy White - who makes them all look easy already. I am afraid that this could be the start of a long season for the Bears.

Detroit Lions + 1 1/2 at Tampa Bay Buccaneers
The Buccaneers had a very impressive season last year, and Josh Freeman looks to be very good, but as long as Matt Stafford is healthy, the Lions will move the ball against anyone. Plus, if you believe the old adage that everything start up front, the Lions have a head start in Ndamukong Suh.

St. Louis Rams + 3 1/2 v. Philadelphia Eagles
Until the Eagles offensive line shows me that they can actually block, I will be happy taking points from this "Dream Team". The Rams are legitimate playoff contenders this year.

Buffalo Bills + 4 1/2 at Kansas City Chiefs
I can't help but think that last year was an aberration for the Chiefs. If I am correct that means both of these teams are bad. In that case, take the points. Oh yeah, and GO HARVARD!

Tenneessee Titans pick 'em at Jacksonville Jaguars
Chris Johnson over Maurice Jones-Drew. OK, both of them are good. Matt Hasselbeck over David Garr ... strike that, Luke McCown, of Josh McCown, or Cade McNown. Whichever. Yep, that makes more sense.

Houston Texans -9 v. Indianapolis Colts
The point spread seems too high, but I have a feeling the Texans want to make a strong early statement. I don't think any of us can guess the effect of Manning's latest neck surgery, placing him most likely out for the whole season, will have on this team.

Cleveland Browns -6 1/2 v. Cincinnati Browns
Peyton Hillis cannot have the same year he had last year, but this might be the year Colt McCoy steps up in stature. Either way, I have Cincinnati as one of the worst 3 or 4 teams in the league. I'll take the Browns at home.

Pittsburgh Steelers v. Baltimore Ravens
These games are always close, something like 10 points difference total in the last 7 or 8 games. Given this fact, and that both teams rely on defense and the rushing games, I'll take the points.

Washington Redskins +3 v. New York Giants
Just a hunch. Plus, Rex Grossman always starts strong to give his team's fans some hope before he rips their hearts out with a 4 int, 3 fumble game.

San Francisco 49ers -5 1/2 v. Seattle Seahawks
Tarvaris Jackson.

Arizona Cardinals -6 1/2 v. Carolina Panthers
Rookie QB, so I cannot take Carolina. Although Newton will have a couple of plays in which we will all say, "Wow". Unfotunately for Carolina, Fitzgerald will have more.

Minnesota Vikings + 8 1/2 at San Diego Chargers
I expect the Chargers to win the AFC West, but giving 8 1/2 points to a team with Donovan McNabb and Adrian Peterson seems a bit high. I would not be shocked if the Chargers won by a touchdown.

Dallas Cowboys +6 at New York Jets
The Jets have a great defense, but the Cowboys have lots of weapons. They had the number 1 offense since Garrett took over the head coaching position. I think the Cowboys are going to surprise a lot of people this year with Romo back.

Miami Dolphins +7 v. New England Patriots
Chad Henne gets way too much blame for the Dolphins woes. Now he has Marshall, Bess and Reggie Bush to play with. Look for the Dolphins to be a much harder out than people expect.

BIG BET OF THE WEEK

Oakland Raiders +3 at Denver Broncos
I feel weird putting my big bet status on Oakland, but they ran their division last year, and the Broncos are in disarray, with most of their fans cheering for their co-second string (read: thrid string) quarterback. Orton will put up numbers, but the Raiders will put up more points. Watch out for Von Miller as potential NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Previous Week's Record: N/A
Year to Date: N/A
Winnings (Losses): N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment