Friday, September 30, 2011

MLB Divisional Series Roundtable

As the first playoff game begins, Hopps, Sinickal and myself all knock off work a bit early to have a quick roundtable discussion on the MLB divisional series. For our collective thoughts and picks, let's begin with the first game, Tampa Bay Rays at Texas Rangers. Hopps?

Hopps: Screw you!

Pepster: My bad - I probably shouldn't have started with the Red Sox fan on this one. Sinickal, your thoughts?

Sinickal: I am going with Tampa. I think they will have a short hangover, but ultimately an easy series. They are a really good team from the best division. Four games.

Pepster: I have to disagree. I think that the Rangers just have too much for the Rays. The Rays are supposed to have pitching and defense, but they are starting Matt Moore in only his second MLB start in Game 1. Texas's lineup is stacked now that everyone is healthy, and it is about time people realize that Elvis Andrus is going to be really, really good. Also in four games.

Hopps: Damn. Now no matter who I select I have to agree with one of you. I am going to say Texas, as the Rays just won their World Series.

Pepster: Now to the marquee American League matchup, Detroit and New York Yankees. I think that nobody has really been talking about Detroit all year outside of Verlander, but that lineup is good and deep. The Yankees lineup is deep too, but guys like Miguel Cabrera are just too dumb to realize they are supposed to lose to the Yankees. Plus, I don't think Verlander will even have to pitch two games in this series. Tigers in 4.

Sinickal: Verlander gets to pitch games 1 and 5. That means that the Yankees have to win 3 straight in the middle. I don't seem them getting that done.

Hopps: Detroit - Verlander. That's all.

We all agree on that one. Let's go to another series where we should all agree, Philadelphia and St. Louis. Hopps?

Hopps: St. Louis. They are playing good baseball. This is the upset of the playoffs.

Pepster: They do have Pujols, but there is no way that I can pick them. It's Philly. There offense has not been the typical Philly offense all year, but they still have Victorino, Rollins, Utley, Howard, et. al. And they have pitching! Philadelphia in 4.

Sinickal: Best team in baseball with great pitching in a short series. This might be a sweep.

And for the last series - Milwaukee or Arizona?

Sinickal: Arizona plays in the equivalent of the NFC West. Good team and bad division v. Great team. I'll pick Milwaukee.

Hopps: I will also take Milwaukee. They win at home; best home winning percentage in the majors.

Pepster: I will make it 3 for 3, even though Justin Upton could be the best player in baseball that nobody talks about. Sneaky good pitching, and Braun/Fielder is a helluva one-two punch, especially with Hart and McGehee showing some power as well. Brewers in 4.

That wraps up our divisional roundtable. But what would this conversation be without mentioning our Patron Saint, Adam Jones, helping to eliminate the Red Sox from the playoffs.

Hopps: That isn't the same Adam Jones. I hate you.

Pepster: Oh, my bad, maybe I just wanted to mention that the Sox collapsed. See you back here for the League Championship Series roundtable.

No comments:

Post a Comment