Friday, September 12, 2008

Picks of the Week


Here are your picks for Week 2 of the NFL. Remember, I will be keeping a running total based upon $100/game, 10% vig on all losses, and one $250 contest per week.

Oakland Raiders + 3 1/2 at Kansas City Chiefs
Sure the Raiders didn't look great against Denver, but Denver is really good this year, and the Raiders ran the ball effectively with Fargas and McFadden. Plus, without all the drops, Russell would have had a decent game.

Tennessee Titans +1 at Cincinnati Bengals
Tennessee won a close battle against a good Jacksonville squad. This Cincinnati team is going to be awful. I'll take the points, even with Kerry Collins.

Minnesota Vikings +1 1/2 versus Indianapolis Colts
Chicago's defense really pressured the Colts last week, and the Vikings have an even better defensive line. The interior of the Colts offensive line is struggling with Saturday and Lilja out.

New Orleans Saints pick 'em at Washington Redskins
Even without Colston, the Saints offense will continue to move the ball. The Redskins did not look well against the Giants last week. I expect them to play better, but still lose.

Green Bay Packers -3 at Detroit Lions
Green Bay didn't miss a beat last week without You Know Who behind center. Detroit, well, is Detroit.

Chicago Bears +3 at Carolina Panthers
Both teams unexpectedly won games last week. It's time to see which team is for real. I'll take the points, and the defense.

New York Giants -8 1/2 at St. Louis Rams
The Rams are just awful.

Buffalo Bills +5 at Jacksonville Jaguars
I was tempted to make this my $250 game, but I didn't want to give the Bills the opportunity to screw me two weeks in a row. Jacksonville looks out of sync with its fourth string offensive lineman.

Atlanta Falcons +7 at Tampa Bay Buccaneers
It's not that I think Atlanta is going to be that great this year, it's simply because I don't trust Brian Griese given 7 points. This could be one of those 10-7 games.

Arizona Cardinals -6 1/2 versus Miami Dolphins
I don't know on this one. I guess I just think the Dolphins might lose another game by a touchdown.

Denver Broncos -1 versus San Diego Chargers
No Merriman for the Chargers, yes Marshall for the Broncos. The Broncos look like they are clicking on offense already. Perhaps a meltdown is coming, but not this week.

New York Jets -1 1/2 versus New England Patriots
Let's just say I am not so much seduced by Brett Favre, but at the prospect of betting against an aging defense and Matt Cassel.

Pittsburgh Steelers -6 at Cleveland Browns
Cleveland is not as good as they showed last year, and Pittsburgh is now the class of the AFC.

Houston Texans -4 1/2 versus Baltimore Ravens
I initially wanted to go with the Ravens here, but with Hurricane Ike in the vicinity, who knows what is going to happen. I am picking Ike -1,000 versus Galveston Island, Texas. Remember, game moved to Monday.

Philadelphia Eagles +7 at Dallas Cowboys
Both teams have potent offenses, with some athletes on defense. I don't see this being a blowout in either direction, so I'll take the points.

BIG BET OF THE WEEK

San Francisco +7 at Seattle Seahawks
Seahawks cannot run the ball, now their quarterback has a hurt back and their top receiver (for now) is out. I don't think the Seahawks will score 7, much less cover. Of course, now I give Seattle the chance to screw me two weeks in a row.

Last Week's Record: 12-4
Last Week's Big Bet: 0-1
Year to Date: 12-4
Winnings (Losses): $595

No comments:

Post a Comment