Thursday, September 4, 2008

Picks of the Week


This is the first of many "picks of the week" segments that will occur weekly at We Make It Rain. It is a tried and trued concept, plus I can keep track of what I would have earned had I actually bet on all of the games (since gambling is illegal). Each pick is using the spread (straight up is for wussies), and the betting line is from my local paper as of the time of typing the entry. I will keep a running tally of my record, plus my winnings/losses. We will pretend that I bet $100 on each game, with one game each week going for $250. Winnings/Losses will be calculated including a 10% vig, which just makes the math that much simpler. On to the picks.

New York Giants - 4 1/2 at Washington Redskins
I just don't think that Washington is that good. Campbell still needs to develop, and there is that ridiculous week 1 winning streak for teams that won the Super Bowl.

Baltimore Ravens + 1 1/2 versus Cincinnati Bengals
Cincinnati just isn't that good. Of course, Baltimore is starting Joe Flacco. In this scenario, I am going with the home team.

Miami Dolphins +3 versus New York Jets
Chad Pennington is so familiar with the Jets defensive players and tendencies, that he has to have an advantage, right?

Kansas City + 15.5 at New England Patriots
Simply because the spread is too high for not knowing exactly what we will get from Tom Brady.

Pittsburgh Steelers - 6 versus Houston Texans
Pittsburgh's defense is going to be as strong as always. I think Hedley Lamar (or Woodley) is going to have a breakout season. Pittsburgh's schedule is tough overall, but I look for them to start out strong. The Texans will be much improved, if not in record, then at least on the field.

Jacksonville Jaguars -3 at Tennessee Titans
Between these two teams, there is a grand total of 0 Wide Receivers.

Atlanta Falcons +3 versus Detroit Lions
Simply because of the Honeymoon effect for Ryan. Could be a shootout.

New Orleans Saints -3 versus Tampa Bay Buccaneers
I like the Bucs to make the playoffs this year, but New Orleans at home getting points? Come on.

Philadelphia Eagles - 7 1/2 versus St. Louis Rams
For some reason I keep wanting to take St. Louis here, but my mind keeps overruling my initial thoughts. Perhaps because Steven Jackson just signed, the offensive line didn't get any better and Pat White broke some of Marc Bulger's collegiate records.

Dallas Cowboys - 5 1/2 at Cleveland
I think Cleveland is going to have a horrible year. With Dallas's high flying offense, they will score a ton of points. This might be the Cowboys' year, as they signed a proven winner in Pac Man Jones to lead the team through the playoffs. Look at what he did last year in leading a completely undermanned Titans' team into the playoffs. What? He didn't play last year? Really? Nevermind.

San Diego Chargers - 9 versus Carolina
The Chargers will start the season at home with an eye-popping destruction of Carolina, to the point where we will call them the San Diego Hannas.

Arizona Cardinals -3 at San Francisco 49ers
Having finally settled on a reliable and prolific QB, Arizona should make a run. I think they will win the NFC West.

Chicago Bears + 9 1/2 at Indianapolis Colts
This is strictly a homer hunch, but I think that Manning not playing the preseason at all, together with the loss of his center and both guards, may allow for a massive game by Tommie Harris. At least massive enough to cover.

Green Bay Packers -3 versus Minnesota Vikings
I think the Packers are going to be just fine without Farve. Minnesota will win their share of games, just not this week.

Denver Broncos -3 at Oakland Raiders
I think the Broncos are playoff bound this year, and if they cannot beat the Raiders by 3, then they don't deserve to be in at all. I do think Oakland will have a respectable year. Not good mind you, but respectable.

BIG BET OF THE WEEK

Seattle Seahawks +1 at Buffalo Bills
Not sold on Seahawks running game, but I am not sold on Buffalo at all. Better team getting points? Don't mind if I do.

Previous Week's Record: N/A
Year to Date: N/A
Winnings (Losses): N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment