Sunday, December 8, 2019

Picks of the Week



Some really interesting and exciting games on the menu this weekend.  Enjoy!

For those that are new to this site, I will select every game against the spread.  I will be selecting one big bet at $250 per, whereas everything else will be $100.  Winners count as winners, whereas losses will be calculated including a 10% vig to make the math that much simpler.  On to the picks.

Chicago Bears +3 v. Dallas Cowboys
This was the easiest pick I have seen in a long time.  To quote my college friend John Anderson, "Don't get that line AT ALL,"  (emphasis supplied).

Atlanta Falcons -3 v. Carolina Panthers
The Panthers on in a free fall, and Matt Ryan gets Julio Jones back.

Buffalo Bills +6 1/2 v. Baltimore Ravens
This is the true test for the Bills defense.  The are third in total defense, passing defense and scoring defense, but the are a mediocre 14th in rush defense, which is where Baltimore will win.  I just think the Bills keep it close.  I really don't like this pick, either way, though.

Cleveland Browns -7 v. Cincinnati Bengals
The Bengals are on a winning streak since turning back to Andy Dalton.  (Yes, I know it is only one game, but this year that is a streak for the Bengals).  Cleveland had been on an offensive roll before succumbing to a deplete Pittsburgh team last week.  But, Cincinnati's defense is nowhere near the level of Pittsburgh's.

Green Bay Packers -13 v. Washington Racists
This has been the year for double digit favorites to cover - at least a lot more than I can ever recall.  So, I am going to take it.

Denver Broncos +9 at Houston Texans
I have to give Denver credit for playing fairly well the last 3 weeks, despite losing 2 of those games.  Plus, Drew Lock might be angry that his single-season SEC touchdown passing record was broken last night by Joe Burrow.  Houston wins by a touchdown.

Minnesota Vikings -13 v. Detroit Lions
Nothing would excite me more than to see Minnesota lose this game, but, Detroit is not good.  Even a brilliant first half last week from David Blough could not save the Lions.  I probably should take the points, but again, lots of double digit favorites have covered this year.

San Francisco 49ers +2 at New Orleans Saints
San Francisco gets Matt Breida back, and New Orleans will be missing most of its linebacking corps, including Kiki Alonso.

Miami Dolphins +5 1/2 at New York Jets
Give me a tough-playing hard-charging Dolphins team with points against an up-and-down Jets team anytime.  The Jest rush defense is 1st in the NFL, but that won't slow down Ryan Fitzpatrick when their passing defense is 19th.

Indianapolis Colts +2 at Tampa Bay Buccaneers
First off, I was taking way too many home teams.  Secondly, Indianapolis is 4th in rushing offense and 9th in rushing defense, which is a great way to keep control of the ball. Jameis Winston has been having a very "Jameis Winston" season with a lot of yards (3659 - well on his way to 4,000 for this year and currently second in the NFL), but a horrible TD/INT ration (22/20).

Los Angeles Chargers -3 at Jacksonville Jaguars
If this game was at 1, I would think differently, but playing the late game will do wonders for the Chargers.  Even with Gardner Minshew II, the Jaguars coaching staff and administration have lost the players.

Pittsburgh Steelers +2 1/2 at Arizona Cardinals
The Steelers offense responds to Devlin Hodges, and their defense can put a lot of pressure on the opposing quarterback.  Last week's game showed Pittsburgh can play tough even when short-handed.

New England Patriots -3 v. Kansas City Chiefs
Yes, I know this is not a typical New England Patriots team, and we all love Pat Mahomes.  But, this Chiefs team is not as good as last year's Chiefs team either, and we all saw what Belichick did to them in the playoffs.

Tennessee Titans -3 at Oakland Raiders
I seriously don't know what to do here.  This is really just a pure guess.

Seattle Seahawks pick 'em at Los Angeles Rams
Russel Wilson is playing out of his mind.  And although the Rams are 2-2 in their last 4 games, the wins were a 17-7 lackluster victory against Chicago and last week against 3-8-1 Arizona.

New York Giants +9 at Philadelphia Eagles
I just think 9 is a bit high with the experienced Eli Manning expected to come in for the Giants.  If Evan Engram does return as expected, that is a talented outlet receiver for Manning, especially to convert critical 3rd downs, so I will take the 9 points.

Big Bet I
Chicago Bears +3 v. Dallas Cowboys
This was the easiest pick I have seen in a long time.  To quote my college friend John Anderson, "Don't get that line AT ALL,"  (emphasis supplied).

Basically because of John Anderson's quote.  Since this was a Thursday game, I did tell my friend Cori that I guaranteed a big Chicago win, but I will also make a second bet to (hopefully not) even things out.

Big Bet II

Atlanta Falcons -3 v. Carolina Panthers
The Panthers on in a free fall, and Matt Ryan gets Julio Jones back.

I really wanted to take the Los Angeles Chargers in this one, but couldn't pull the trigger on the road and playing in the Eastern Time Zone.


Last Week's Record:  9-7
Last Week's Big Bet:  1-1
Year-to-Date Record:  92-101
Year-to-Date Big Bet:  8-6
Last Week's Winnings (Losses):  $115
Year-to-Date Winnings (Losses):  ($1,710)

No comments:

Post a Comment