Saturday, October 12, 2013

Picks of the Week



Welcome to our Picks of the Week.  For a quick refresher on the procedures behind my picks (for those that are new - this will be new): Each pick is using the spread (straight up is for wussies), and the betting line is from the same website each week as of the time of typing the entry. I keep a running tally of my record, plus my winnings/losses. We will pretend that I bet $100 on each game, with one game each week going for $250. Winnings/Losses will be calculated including a 10% vig, which just makes the math that much simpler. On to the picks.

So I have now figured out the eastern time zone, going 7-2 to start, only to finish 1-4 for the late/night games.  Time to see if I can now get the western teams to cooperate.

Chicago Bears -7 1/2 v. New York Giants
I may have lost this pick, but valiant effort by  my favorite team with a lot of defensive injuries.

Green Bay Packers -3 at Baltimore Ravens
The old Ravens defense would have had a hard time slowing down the Packers pass defense; and this is not that old Ravens defense.  The Ravens look different on offense, and they need to get back to more Ray Rice.

Cincinnati Bengals -6 at Buffalo Bills
Two consecutive road favorites, which I normally do not like, but Cincinnati is fresh off its victory over the Patriots and the Bills are starting a tool at quarterback.  I'm sorry, a Tuel.

Cleveland Browns +3 v. Detroit Lions
Tough pick, because I wanted to go with the road favorite, but I just think the Lions are a completely different team without Calvin Johnson.

Houston Texans -7 v. St. Louis Rams
This one I have no idea.  I didn't think the Rams could cover a big number against the Jags; I thought the Texans would cover against the 49ers, and I was wrong on all counts.  You don't have to listen to me on this one, as I have no idea.  I just think that a new face under may be what Houston needs to right the ship.

Oakland Raiders +9 at Kansas City Chiefs
Oakland is playing pretty tough and although I do not think that they can win this game, I think the number is a bit high.  Something like 24-17 seems right.

Carolina Panthers + 1 1/2 at Minnesota Vikings
Let's all be honest, we do not know how this one is going to be affected by the death of Adrian Peterson's son.  The emotions could be a huge push for the Vikings, but that type of emotion and adrenaline still run out - usually in the second quarter.  Heart for the Vikings here, but you cannot often bet with your heart.

New York Jets pick 'em v. Pittsburgh Steelers
The Jets, although making mistakes, are playing fairly well behind a sold defense of Muhammad Wilkerson and rookie QB Geno Smith.  The Steelers, are not.

Philadelphia Eagles -3 at Tampa Bay Buccaneers
This seems like a sucker bet, so I am going to be the sucker.  Mike Glennon with an extra week of practice could actually settle into a rhythm against a very bad Philly defense.  I just don't see the Buccaneers stopping the Eagles.

Denver Broncos -26 v. Jacksonville Jaguars
This spread is outrageous. Largest line in the history of the NFL (Some places have it at 27 1/2).  Nobody in their right mind would take this game.  Jacksonville is THAT bad.  Plus, I will never have the opportunity to root for someone to cover a 26 point spread in the NFL again.

Seattle Seahawks -13 v. Tennessee Titans
Seattle at home is unstoppable.  The Titans are coming off a tough game against Kansas City, and travelling west.  Seattle has to have a huge advantage.

New Orleans Saints +2 at New England Patriots
If the Saints are going to lose, at New England would be a pretty good bet.  However, the Patriots have not yet seen an offense like that of the Saints, and if I am going to be able to get points, Drew Brees and an undefeated team, then I will take it.

San Francisco 49ers -10 1/2 v. Arizona Cardinals
I have been wrong in almost every single Cardinal game this year, but if the 49ers can settle themselves down offensively and spread the ball around to its running backs, receivers and tight ends, they should handily beat the Cardinals that absolutely cannot run the ball this year.

Dallas Cowboys -5 1/2 v. Washington Redskins
Dallas put on a helluva offense performance against the Broncos, and the Redskins defense is the worst pass defense in the league.  That being said, the last million Redskins/Cowboys games have all been within the point spread.  Still, I'll take the Cowboys and their offensive talent.

BIG BET OF THE WEEK

Indianapolis Colts -1 at San Diego Chargers
Now THIS sounds like a sucker bet.  How can everyone and their brother not think the Colts are going to win this one.  With that being said, Philip Rivers is having a solid year, the game is in San Diego, and the single most obvious pick of the day is often not.

Previous Week's Record: 8-6
Year to Date: 35-38-3
Big Bet Last Week: 0-1
Big Beat Year to Date: 3-2
Winnings (Losses) Last Week: ($25)
Winnings (Losses) Year-To-Date: ($450)

No comments:

Post a Comment