Sunday, October 6, 2013

Picks of the Week



Welcome to our Picks of the Week.  For a quick refresher on the procedures behind my picks (for those that are new - this will be new): Each pick is using the spread (straight up is for wussies), and the betting line is from the same website each week as of the time of typing the entry. I keep a running tally of my record, plus my winnings/losses. We will pretend that I bet $100 on each game, with one game each week going for $250. Winnings/Losses will be calculated including a 10% vig, which just makes the math that much simpler. On to the picks.

I am just going to admit that I have no idea what is going on this season.  Brian Hoyer, Kansas City and Eli's interceptions are just a few of the crazy things this year.

Cleveland Browns -3 1/2 v. Buffalo Bills
Yes it was Thursday, but this was my pick.

New Orleans Saints -1 at Chicago Bears
Henry Melton is out for the season, Steven Paea and Charles Tillman are still questionable.  The Bears need all hands on deck to try to slow down the Saints offensive juggernaut.  Could be an enjoyable high scoring game.

Cincinnati Bengals +1 v. New England Patriots
The Patriots are doing this with offensive smoke-and-mirrors.  The Bengals front 7 is likely to put too much pressure on Tom Brady.

Green Bay Packers -7 v. Detroit Lions
This is what I wrote initially, "Do I think the Lions are as good as they looked last week - No.  Do I think they can score a ton of points, at least keep this close and possibly beat the Packers - Yes."  Then I found out that Calvin Johnson was out.  He means that much to Detroit.

Indianapolis Colts +3 v. Seattle Seahawks
The Seahawks are a much different team away from home, and I have already picked one road favorite today.

Baltimore Ravens +3 at Miami Dolphins
The Ravens offensive line will have its hands full with the Dolphins defensive line, but with time, we have seen that the Dolphins can be beat through the air - especially deep.  A couple of big Torrey Smith and/or Dallas Clark plays makes the Ravens at least cover.

Philadelphia Eagles +2 at New York Giants
So long as they do not turn the ball over the Eagles offense can move the ball against anyone, and the Giants are much less impressive than "anyone".  I'll take the Eagles with the points.

Jacksonville Jaguars +11 at St. Louis Rams
The Jaguars have to cover sometime, so it might as well be against the disappointing Rams.  If St. Louis is going to live up to how good some pundits - including me - thought that they were going to be, they need to win big today.  I don't see it happening.

Tennessee Titans +3 v. Kansas City Chiefs
The Chiefs have been impressive this year, but the Titans could easily be undefeated.  Plus, as I stated in my Colts/Seahawks pick - I have already picked one road favorite.

Denver Broncos -7 at Dallas Cowboys
I am not sure that anyone can slow down the Broncos right now.  Seven points does not seem like a high enough spread.

Houston Texans +5 at San Francisco 49ers
The 49ers are just missing too many weapons.  The Texans gave the Seahawks all they can handle, and Seattle is a much tougher team than San Francisco right now.

San Diego Chargers -4 1/2 at Oakland Raiders
San Diego has played very well this year, even in its losses. Oakland is in flux, with Terrelle Pryor's concussion injury putting some wonder in to how much he will be able to play today. Plus, Oakland is not very good.  It is a good thing that both teams are west coast teams with the time change for kickoff, but if one team is affected by this, we could have a crazy ballgame.  And yes, I know, a third road favorite.

New York Jets +9 1/2 at Atlanta Falcons
The Jets have not played that poorly defensively, and they are capable of some big plays.  Although Atlanta is a much better ball club, I could see this being a 6 or 7 point game.

BIG BET OF THE WEEK

CarolinaPanthers - 2 1/2 at Arizona Cardinals
OK, so I am picking another road favorite.  Carolina has played tough in its losses - well, at least the loss to the Seahawks, and since Arizona cannot run the ball, Carolina should be able win handily.

Previous Week's Record: 7-7-1
Year to Date: 27-32-3
Big Bet Last Week: 1-0
Big Beat Year to Date: 3-1
Winnings (Losses) Last Week: $80
Winnings (Losses) Year-To-Date: ($425)

No comments:

Post a Comment