Saturday, October 22, 2011

Picks of the Week



It is time for the "picks of the week". A quick refresher: Each pick is using the spread (straight up is for wussies), and the betting line is from the same website each week as of the time of typing the entry. I keep a running tally of my record, plus my winnings/losses. We will pretend that I bet $100 on each game, with one game each week going for $250. Winnings/Losses will be calculated including a 10% vig, which just makes the math that much simpler.

I apologize for missing last week. Not good as two weeks ago was my first losing week (only -$20, so not too bad), but I was out celebrating my Mom's 60th birthday. I hope you understand. On to the picks.

Carolina Panthers -2 1/2 v. Washington Redskins
When your best offensive player and your best defensive player are both upset that John Beck is starting, then your team has problems. Plus, I had a dream that the Panthers drafted Justin Blackmon this year to go with Cam Newtwon and Steve Smith - wouldn't that be something?!

Tennessee Titans -3 v Houston Texans
Tennessee always plays tough, and the Texans are once again without Andre Johnson. Although I would have loved to have seen McCourty cover Johnson during this game, it appears McCourty will have to be happy shutting down Walter and Jones.

San Diego Chargers +1 at New York Jets
Beating the Dolphins doesn't impress me Jets.

Denver Broncos pick 'em at Miami Dolphins
Coming off a bye week and playing the Dolphins is the perfect storm for Tim Tebow. But, see my immediate entry above.

Detroit Lions -3 v. Atlanta Falcons
I just don't think the Falcons defense can stop the Lions offense, even though the Lions are effectively without any running backs - unless you include Keiland Williams.

Seattle Seahawks +3 at Cleveland Browns
Not because this is what I think will actually happen, but simply because I have been saying that I will bet against Seattle until they start Charlie Whitehurst. Well, they are starting Charlie Whitehurst.

Pittsburgh Steelers -4 at Arizona Cardinals
What a long way away from he Super Bowl for both of these teams.

Oakland Raiders -3 1/2 v Kansas City Chiefs
I really don't know what to make of the Raiders QB situation, but in any event, they still have Darren McFadden. If I was the Raiders, I would be more concerned about missing Sebastian Janikowski. Putting this one on the defense.

Green Bay Packers -10 at Minnesota VIkings
Never take a 10 point road divisional favorite - unless of course the other team is starting a rookie QB in his very first NFL start, their starting CB was just arrested on domestic assault charges and isn't likely to be released before the game, and they just aren't very good.

Dallas Cowboys -13 v. St. Louis Rams
This Rams team just is not very good. I am worried about the 13 point spread, but Austin has a game under his belt, and hopefully a little more synch to the offense.

New Orleans Sainst -13 1/2 v. Indianapolis Colts
Marques Colston is officially back after last week's performance, and, I figured that I have already taken each of the other two double digit favorites.

Baltimore Ravens -8 1/2 v. Jacksonville Jaguars
Ravens are one of the best two or three teams in the NFL. The Jaguars aren't.

BIG BET OF THE WEEK

Chicago Bears -1 1/2 at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (in London)
After last week's performance, I have to pick the Bears, especially since the Bucs will be without LaGarrette Blount. The Bears arrived much later in London than the Bucs, I just hope they get acclimated to the time change prior to kickoff.

Previous Week's Record: 6-7
Year to Date: 40-35-2
Big Bet Last Week: 1-0
Big Beat Year to Date: 5-0
Winnings (Losses) Last Week: ($20)
Winnings (Losses) Year-To-Date: $900

No comments:

Post a Comment