Friday, September 11, 2009

Picks of the Week



This is the first of this year's "picks of the week" segments that will occur weekly at We Make It Rain. It is a tried and trued concept, plus I can keep track of what I would have earned had I actually bet on all of the games (since gambling is illegal). Each pick is using the spread (straight up is for wussies), and the betting line is from the same website each week as of the time of typing the entry. I will keep a running tally of my record, plus my winnings/losses. We will pretend that I bet $100 on each game, with one game each week going for $250. Winnings/Losses will be calculated including a 10% vig, which just makes the math that much simpler. On to the picks.

Tennessee Titans +6 at Pittsburgh Steelers
Scroll down a couple of blog entries to see my pick in this game.

New Orleans Saints -13 v. Detroit Lions
High scoring and high flying Saints versus doormat Lions. The Lions will improve from last year, since, well, they have to, but not yet.

Philadelphia -2 1/2 at Carolina Panthers
I don't really know what to do here, I just think Delhomme might be running out of gas. Do not underestimate the loss of Jim Johnson to the Eagles Defense.

Houston Texans -4 1/2 v. New York Jets
Rookie Quarterback, meet Mario Williams and Demeco Ryans.

Dallas Cowboys -5 1/2 at Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Not sold on Dallas going to the playoffs, but sold on their firepower versus overmatched Buccaneers. Watch for the penalties on Dallas' offensive line, though (false starts and holdings), as a sign of the future.

Denver Broncos +4 1/2 at Cincinnati Bengals
Not that I think the Broncos are going to be good this year, but it has been a while since Palmer was great due to injuries, and Elvis Dumervil can pressure the QB.

Atlanta Falcons -4 v. Miami Dolphins
Miami takes a step back this year, while the Falcons take another step forward.

Kansas City Chiefs +13 at Baltimore Ravens
Real big number for an early season game. Ravens may win 12-0.

Indianapolis Colts -7 v. Jacksonville Jaguars
A rivalry that is a shadow of its former self.

St. Louis Rams +7 1/2 at Seattle Seahawks
Everybody seems to be making a big deal of Hasselback's return to Seattle, however, they also have Julius Jones as a running back.

Washington Redskins +6 1/2 at New York Giants
The Giants Offense (minus Brandon Jacobs) needs to show me something before I lay 6 1/2 against a division rival.

San Francisco 49ers +6 at Arizona Cardinals
Shaun Hill is better than most people think, and with Singletary at the helm, the defense will be much improved. Arizona may win, but San Fran will keep it close.

Chicago Bears +4 at Green Bay Packers
I see this game coming down to a field goal, so I'll take the 4 points. Plus, the Bears took Indianapolis last year on the opening Sunday night game

New England Patriots -10 1/2 v. Buffalo Bills
Buffalo is in disarray, and none of it is TO's fault. Yet.

Oakland Raiders +9 v. San Diego Chargers
Something tells me that Shawne Merriman's Choke of Love isn't going to go away. The Chargers are better, but this is my flyer for the week.

BIG BET OF THE WEEK

Minnesota Vikings 3 1/2 at Cleveland Browns
Vikings have a lot of hype, and a powerful defensive line. Cleveland has a lot of quarterback controversy, and .... nope, that's all I got.

Previous Week's Record: N/A
Year to Date: N/A
Winnings (Losses): N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment