Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Super Day!

Quick post today to get on the record about the only day of the year that really matters...

Let's get the pick out of the way up front -- Pittsburgh wins and I don't think it will be a close game. The score may be close, but I think that Pittsburgh will really beat up Arizona and win this decisively.

I know that this isn't a popular pick. EVERYONE seems to believe that the Cardinals are a team of destiny; or that Wisenhunt knows the Steelers players to well; or that Larry Fitzgerald is a great feel good story; or any number of other reasons that emerge when you have two weeks to do nothing but think about why the best team won't win. By the way, I do this periodically also. In the two weeks leading up to the Super Bowl, I spend 10 days not even questioning my pick and 3 days wondering why everyone else (especially the experts) is questioning theirs. Then, of course, self doubt creeps in. And THAT'S how you lose money with your bookie.

This happens a lot in College football. Remember that just a few weeks ago, everyone had convinced themselves that Oklahoma was a much better team than Florida. You will also remember that I was the voice of reason in explaining why Oklahoma could not stay on the same field with the Gators.

To me, picking games is a pretty simple science (which is probably why I am wrong so often). In the case of this game, I look at a few practical nuggets:
  1. Pittsburgh has better talent. Other than Fitzgerald and, maybe Warner (Ben has as many rings by the way), where is Arizona better? When all is said and done, talent and solid coaching win football games and I like Pittsburgh for both.

  2. Football is a simple game. You run the ball. You stop the run. Arizona can't do either consistently. They may be able to pull off the upset today (a big chore), but I don't want my hard earned gambling money on a team that had a game this year in which they ran the ball 7 times in 57 total plays.

  3. You should never forget what you have seen. Arizona was a dysfunctional team playing in a horrendous Division all year! If this game were being played any other week but this week, people wouldn't be thinking twice. Pittsburgh is a solid, consistent franchise that just wins games. Period. That counts for a lot with me.

  4. Two words -- Mike Tomlim. Okay, here is where I fall apart. I simply love this man. His quotes and philosophies on football are original and - to quote Tony Kornheiser - flamboyantly articulate. Everyone seems to relate to him! I will follow him anywhere. I just hope that he never ends up coaching the Green Bay Packers.

I will answer the "Ken Wisenhunt used to be the offensive coordinator for the Steelers and knows the tendencies of the players there" argument this way. Dick Labeau was there also, and understands the tendencies of Wisenhunt. Oh, and LaBeau IS a genius.

I already know that the Steelers are a physically and mentally tough football team that is never out of a game. Arizona is a team that has shown several times this year that they can be taken out of a game. I am positive that the Wisenhunt and the Cardinals have a plan for how to beat the Steelers today, but I will leave you with this quote courtesy of Mike Tyson..."Everyone has a plan until they get hit."

And Pittsburgh is going to hit Arizona today.

No comments:

Post a Comment