Thursday, January 8, 2009

Do You Know the Utes Fight Song?

First, let me get on record. Florida wins tonight and I don't think it will be a very close game. Me, Pepster, Hopps and 8 homeless people could score on Oklahoma's defense. And I find it hard to give Oklahoma an advantage over Florida at any skill position.

I also put some stock in championship experience and coaching...Meyer never seems rattled in these situations, whereas Stoops' teams have been hit or miss.

Now on to today's rant...

Do you believe that tonight's game will decide the National Championship? Really?

What would convince you that this is a National Championship game? The fact that there will be a crystal trophy on camera for a minimum of 2 hours tonight? That's about all for me. When Grand Wizard of the BCS is handing over the trophy and proclaiming this to be one of the best examples of how the BCS is supposed to work, I am hoping that I don't try to stab myself with the nearest blunt instrument.

I guess that my opinion has to be considered as valid as anyone else, so I am now proclaiming Utah to be my National Champion. That's right, the real BCS (Better Championships by Sinickal) has is happy present the Utes with my imaginary trophy.

Why the Utes? Because Utah not only satisfied all of the requirements of a football season -- that is win every contest put before you, but they then went on the road and beat the team that held the number 1 ranking for the most weeks this year! The only team Alabama lost to is playing tonight. Also, isn't this what college administrators were talking about all along? That the regular season must have meaning?

WHAT IS MORE MEANINGFUL THAN WINNING ALL OF YOUR GAMES?!

Look, I don't know who the best team in the country is right now. And by the way, neither do you. Based on schedule, talent, coaching, and game results, I could make an argument for USC, Utah, Alabama, Oklahoma, Florida or Texas. I won't make arguments for some of the two-loss teams because they wouldn't have made a playoff under my system anyway.

What I do know is this, I will wake up tomorrow morning and feel very dissatisfied about having sat through an entire college football exhibition season without determining who the National Champion is.

All I want now is for Fox to run pictures of all the computer geeks who decide the National Championship picture in the same way they introduce starting line-ups and the referees...They are just as important to the outcome of this season.

1 comment:

  1. I think its the coaches and Harris poll "experts" that really screw up the BCS. The computer polls, albeit sketchy, seem th be more accurate than some of the drivel written down by SID's and the like.

    ReplyDelete