Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I Think They Call It Hockey...

Guess where I was yesterday?

I was in Philips Arena for something called Hockey. Yeah, I am pretty sure that's what it was called.

It was weird...There was ice, and people on skates with sticks. Like nothing I had ever seen on television. My tickets were free, so they let us sit in something called a club section - in the center of the arena, seven rows off the ice. I must say, I enjoyed myself!

Here were some of my observations from this "event:"


  • Apparently, this is a professional sport. They even pay the players.

  • The organizers of the event were attempting a white out. Didn't work since the team wore its BLUE jerseys! That's right, Colorado was in white.

  • There were a whole lot of fans dressed in the same black color as the seats in the arena.

  • The Atlanta team is called the Thrashers. I think I knew that, but I am not sure
Hockey is clearly dead in America. Seriously, raise your hand if you think that you can name all six divisions and the current points leaders. It is amazing to me how far the sport has fallen.

By the way, did you know that the NHL All-Star Game was here a couple of weeks ago? Neither did I. Oh, it happened two blocks from my house.

Now, I am not just about reporting problems. I am also about solutions. So, here are mine:


  1. Bring back fighting! I was so angry about all of the "almost" fights.

  2. Get off Versus and get a network deal. If Notre Dame can do it, so can you

  3. Retract some teams. Seriously, hockey in Atlanta? Carolina? Miami? Phoenix? Maybe we can put a team in Key West.

  4. Bring back fighting! Oh, I said that already.

All in all, a boring but fun night. I recommend it for all.....

3 comments:

  1. WOW - an NHL posting that I didn't write. I am impressed.

    The best thing about the NHL is that it keeps Bettman away from the NBA - as you alluded to in your tags.

    What is versus anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all:

    /raises hand in response to the challenge contained in this post

    Second of all, I'd like to add two things to your list of Ways To Make The NHL Relevant Again:

    1. Upgrade from NHL-sized rinks to the international size. Not only would the flow of play in games improve with more skating and fewer slapshots (I swear to God the Bruins don't know any other way to score), but athletes would need to be leaner and faster. The current NHL lines are the size of football players, not hockey players; an old-timey pro like Bobby Orr wouldn't stand a chance. The American game would change dramatically with the rink size.

    2. Eliminate like 10 teams. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations MrsAnkiel! You were the first of the 17,565 Bruins fans to call in.

    I am not sure about moving to bigger ice. I don't necessarily want more scoring, I just want the nastiness back.

    ReplyDelete