Saturday, January 6, 2018

Playoffs Picks of the Week/Wild-Card Round




What a horrible start to the week, but managed to scramble to .500 for the week - and for the season - (but lost money due to the vig).  As we know, the playoffs are a whole different season.  Since there are fewer games, I will be making three bets per game: (1) Against the Spread; (2) Money Line; and (3) Over/Under.

The Money Line gives me the opportunity to make up big chunks of my deficit without extra bets, or extra money placed on the game.

My long time readers know how this works, but for everybody else,  a reminder.  Each pick is using the spread (straight up is for wussies), and the betting line is from the same website each week as of the time of typing the entry. I keep a running tally of my record, plus my winnings/losses. We will "pretend" that I bet $100 on each game, with one game each week going for $250. Winnings/Losses will be calculated including a 10% vig to make the math that much simpler.  On to the picks.

Tennessee Titans +8 1/2 at Kansas City Chiefs
Kansas City escaped the doldrums of the middle of the season by winning their last 4 games in a row, often impressively.  The important statistic for me, though, is that Tennessee has the 4th best defense against the run, holding opponents to 88.8 yards per game.  Their strong run defense could hold the NFL's leading rusher in Kareem Hunt (1327 yards).  Even though Alex Smith did have the best passer rating of all eligible quarterbacks this year, he isn't likely to dominate a game, especially when the Titans have a relatively fresh Derrick Henry smashing into the 25th ranked rush defense of the Chiefs.  I will take the 8 1/2 points.

Kansas City Chiefs -$340 over Tennessee Titans (Bet $340 to win $100)
So, this is the worst money line bet on the board.  However, I have to take it because I don't believe that Tennessee can win this game outright.  If I am just trying to chase the money and get rid of my deficit, I take the Titans at +$255.  However, I don't think Tennessee wins, so I take the Chiefs.

Tennessee Titans at Kansas City Chiefs OVER 44 1/2
Both teams, at their average score a total of 46.8 points, and since neither defense overall is exemplary (excepting Tennessee's rush defense, but they are 25th against the pass).  Perhaps a 31-24 win by Kansas City to sweep all three bets.

Atlanta Falcons +6 at Los Angeles Rams
The Rams finished the season as the highest scoring team in the NFL, but were only 10th in total offense.  A lot of that came because of the exemplary kicking of Greg Zuerlein, who is out injured.  Meanwhile Atlanta seems like they have flown under the radar, despite the fact that they are basically in the same position as last year.  The offense wasn't exactly clicking this year, but they are in the playoffs and their 8th ranked defense in points allowed and 9th ranked defense in total yards could cause problems for the Rams.  The Falcons with points is dangerous.

Atlanta Falcons +$230 over Los Angeles Rams (Bet $100 to win $230)
For all of the reasons stated above, I expect Atlanta to outright beat the Rams.

Atlanta Falcons at Los Angeles Rams OVER 48
Two high scoring teams should make this number rather easily.  I feel that at least one team will be in the 30s, if not both.

Buffalo Bills + 8 1/2 at Jacksonville Jaguars
Buffalo finished the season only 1 game behind Jacksonville, and a lot of that reason was LeSean McCoy.  Since it appears that he is going to play, I can only assume that he is fit to do LeSean McCoy type things.  That means he will perform against the 21st ranked rush defense in the NFL.  Ball control, and some scoring could keep this game close.

Jacksonville Jaguars -$335 over Buffalo Bills (Bet $335 to win $100)
It is still possible that LeSean McCoy is not 100%.  If that is the case, there is no real way Buffalo can beat the Jaguars.  The only chance they have is to jump out to a lead a force Blake Bortles to throw.  I don't see that happening.

Buffalo Bills at Jacksonville Jaguars OVER 39
Would anybod y be surprised if this hit under, of course not.  But, if the winning team hits 24, the over should win.

New Orleans Saints -6 v. Carolina Panthers
These teams know each other too well, so it is really tempting to take the points, especially given 4th ranked rushing offense and 3rd ranked rushing defense.  However, these teams have played twice, and New Orleans won by a composite of 31 points.  The Saints' 10 point victory over Carolina occurred in week 13.   Saints just have too much firepower.

New Orleans Saints -$255 over Carolina Panthers (Bet $255 to win $100)
It goes without saying that if I think the Saints will cover the spread, that I would take them with the money line.

Carolina Panthers at New Orleans Saints OVER 47 1/2
Lots of points to be scored.

Big Bet
Atlanta Falcons +6 at Los Angeles Rams
If I feel that they will win outright, then I damn sure need to make them my big bet.

Last Week's Record: 8-8
Last Week's Big Bet: 0-1
Year-to-Date Record:  124-124-8
Big Bet Year-to-Date:  9-8
Last Week's Winnings (Losses):  ($245)
Winnings (Losses) Year-to-Date:  ($1210)

No comments:

Post a Comment