Sunday, October 22, 2017

Picks of the Week



Absolutely horrible week,  but I cannot be mad at that.  How was I supposed to know that the likes of Brett Hundley and Ryan Fitzpatrick were going to figure prominently in my losses.  I am away this weekend, so very limited analysis on my picks.

My long time readers know how this works, but for everybody else,  a reminder.  Each pick is using the spread (straight up is for wussies), and the betting line is from the same website each week as of the time of typing the entry. I keep a running tally of my record, plus my winnings/losses. We will "pretend" that I bet $100 on each game, with one game each week going for $250. Winnings/Losses will be calculated including a 10% vig to make the math that much simpler.  On to the picks.

Kansas City -3 at Oakland Raiders
I never would have taken a road intra-divisional favorite on a short week.  However, since I have missed almost every Thursday night game, I went the opposite.  Damnit.

Chicago Bears +3 v. Carolina Panthers
The Bears have played good teams tough at home (See Atlanta, Pittsburgh).

Tampa  Bay Buccaneers +3 at Buffalo  Bills
Buffalo's offense is horrific.  There 3-2 record is basically smoke-and-mirrors.

Tennesse Titans -6 at Cleveland Browns
Cleveland is a trainwreck.  Tennessee is starting to get in sync.

New Orleans -3 1/2 at Green Bay Packers
Although a road favorite, Brees has passed for over 300 yards each of the 6 times he has played Green Bay.  The Packers' offense - which already was a house of cards in the run game, now has questions in the passing game without Aaron Rodgers.

Jacksonville Jaguars -3 at Indianapolis Colts
Admittedly, this pick is based upon Leonard Fournette being able to play in this game, which is still up in the air.  I just have to think Chris Ivory is enough to run on the Colts if Fournette cannot play.

Arizona Cardinals +3 at Los Angeles Rams
I really like this Rams team, but it appears Adrian Peterson might have rejuvenated the Cardinals offense - although yards might be tougher against the Rams defense.  Arizona is 5-0-1 in the last 6 games against NFC west opponents and 9-3-1 in the past 13 versus the division.  I don't need Arizona to win, just keep it close.

Miami Dolphins  -3 v. New York Jets
Miami was not ready for the Jets the first game, and I don't think the Dolphins will overlook them this time.  The way Cutler is playing, we should expect a healthy dose of Jay Ajayi against the Jets 28th ranked rush defense.

Minnesota Vikings -4 1/2 v. Baltimore Ravens
I changed this pick 3 or 4 times.  I have no idea, except that Minnesota is better than Chicago, and the Bears handled the Ravens.  Minnesota is shorthanded offensively because of injuries.  Baltimore is just shorthanded offensively.

San Francisco 49ers +6 v. Dallas Cowboys
Every game the Cowboys get Elliott will be important for the rest of the season, but of San Francisco's last 5 losses have been by a total of 13 points.  I'll take a home favorite.

Pittsburgh Steelers -4 1/2 v. Cincinnati Steelers
The Steelers really have their offense going, with both Bell and Brown being focal points (as they should be).

Denver Broncos -1 1/2 at Los Angeles Chargers
Hey, it's the Chargers and I only have to give 1 1/2?  OK.

Seattle Seahawks -3 1/2 at New York Giants
While I am already picking too many road favorites.

Atlanta Falcons +3 at New England Patriots
This is not last year's Patriots.

Philadelphia Eagles -4 1/2 v. Washington Racists
The Eagles are flying high, and I don't see that slowing down with a loud crowd at home on Monday night against a divisional rival.

Big Bet

Tennessee Titans -6 at Cleveland Browns
So a road favorite as my big bet?  New rule - always pick against the Browns.  They played strong and with emotion the first couple of weeks, but now they don't even know which of the 3, yes 3, quarterbacks they want to use.  Other options for me were:  Jacksonville, New Orleans and Pittsburgh.  I didn't select Jacksonville here because of the uncertainty with Fournette; I didn't select New Orleans because Green Bay always does something to piss me off; and I didn't select Pittsburgh because Cincinnati would be dominated and then score a last minute touchdown to cover, or something equally as weird.


Last Week's Record:  4-10-1
Last Week's Big Bet:  1-0
Year-to-Date Record:  41-48-2
Big Bet Year-to-Date:  3-3
Last Week's Winnings (Losses):  ($550)
Winnings (Losses) Year-to-Date:  ($1,255)

No comments:

Post a Comment