Sunday, September 27, 2015

Picks of the Week



So, I knew the amazing start could not last, as I came back to earth a bit last week.  The afternoon games killed me, as I went 0-3.  Still finished at .500, though.

As  a reminder, each pick is using the spread (straight up is for wussies), and the betting line is from the same website each week as of the time of typing the entry. I keep a running tally of my record, plus my winnings/losses. We will "pretend" that I bet $100 on each game, with one game each week going for $250. Winnings/Losses will be calculated including a 10% vig, which just makes the math that much simpler. Now, on to the picks.

Washington Redskins +3 at New York Giants
Yes this game is already over, and yes, Sinickal and Hopps thought I was nuts when I told them my pick before kickoff, but sometimes, a pick seems too obvious and you have to go the other way.  It didn't work out this time.

Cincinnati Bengals + 1 1/2 at Baltimore Ravens
Something about the Ravens just seems off this year; not quite the typical Ravens team.  Cincinnati would love to put 3 games distance between themselves and the Ravens this early in the season.

Carolina Panthers - 9 1/2 v. New Orleans Saints
The Saints were in shambles BEFORE Drew Brees was announced as being out of this game.  The Panthers may be playing well through smoke-and-mirrors, but Cam Newton and Greg Olsen might end up both having the best years of their respective careers.

Cleveland Browns -3 1/2 v. Oakland Raiders
The winner of this game will be 2-1.  Read that line again.  The difference in this is that the west coast team playing the early game on the east coast always have problems covering the spread.

Atlanta Falcons -1 at Dallas Cowboys
You regular readers know that I hate when I have to take road favorites, but this one is only 1 point, and I do think Atlanta can beat Dallas straight up.  Brandon Weeden is starting today, and he is 5-16 as a starting quarterback, including 8 straight losses.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers +6 at Houston Texans
Jameis Winston may have to learn a lot against the Texans defensive line, which could cause him a lot of trouble.  The Texans, however, are just not good offensively, and Lovie Smith, with all of his faults as a head coach, is a tremendous defensive coach!!!

San Diego Chargers + 1 1/2 at Minnesota Vikings
I honestly don't know who to pick in this game, quite frankly, so I will take the point, however few they are.

New England Patriots -14 v. Jacksonville Jaguars
Despite the final score, New England absolutely destroyed Buffalo and their vaunted defense last week.  The Jaguars, although much improved, are not the Buffalo Bills defensively.  I expect a lot of points from New England today.

New York Jets -3 v. Philadelphia Eagles
The Jets have had tremendous defenses in recent vintage, and this year they have a polished offense; pounding teams with Chris Ivory and stretching them with Brandon Marshall.  Philadelphia seems to have taken a big leap backward in this - what was supposed to be Chip Kelly's coming out - year.

St. Louis Rams -1 v. Pittsburgh Steelers
Yes the Rams failed to show up last week against the Redskins, but I believe that was an anomaly.  Todd Gurley will suit up today, and if he actually is ready to go, can have a huge game as Ryan Shazier will not be playing for the Steelers.  Le'Veon Bell is back, but will he be game ready?  Whichever player is in better form between Gurley and Bell will win this game.

Tennessee Titans +3 v. Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis is the lowest scoring team in the league, and have yet to score in the first half.  Tennessee might struggle with a rookie quarterback, but I will take the points at home.

Seattle Seahawks -14 1/2 v. Chicago Bears
My Bears stink.

Arizona Cardinals - 6 1/2 v. San Francisco 49ers
The Cardinals defense can be great, and with Carson Palmer, the offense is very effective as well.  Which San Francisco team is the real team?  I suspect it is the squad that was annihilated by Pittsburgh.

Buffalo Bills + 1 1/2 at Miami Dolphins
The Dolphins running game is paltry, and that is before they play a staunch Buffalo defense.  Despite the shellacking from New England, Buffalo actually made the score relatively close.  I expect the Bills to win outright.

Denver Broncos -3 at Detroit Lions
Judging by his comments this week, C.J. Anderson should be primed for a big comeback week.  Denver is 2-0 without playing particularly well.  Detroit is 0-2 while playing poorly.

Green  Bay Packers -6 1/2 v. Kansas City Chiefs
Green Bay has looked tremendous in its first two games.  Perhaps as good as any team west of Foxboro.  Kansas City just doesn't have that much power to keep up offensively.

BIG BET OF THE WEEK

Atlanta Falcons -1 at Dallas Cowboys
You regular readers know that I hate when I have to take road favorites, but this one is only 1 point, and I do think Atlanta can beat Dallas straight up.  Brandon Weeden is starting today, and he is 5-16 as a starting quarterback, including 8 straight losses. I was thinking about selecting the Bengals or the Bills for my "Big Bet", but both of those games are intra-divisional.


Last Week: 8-8
Year-to-Date: 19-12-1
Big Bet Last Week: 0-1
Big Bet Year to Date: 1-1
Winnings (Losses) Last Week: $(245)
Winnings (Losses) Year to Date: $565

No comments:

Post a Comment