Thursday, September 18, 2014

Picks of the Week



Week three is upon us, which means it is now times for my "Picks of the Week".  A quick note about last week's picks, Adrian Peterson was deactivated and the Bears receivers were donwgraded to "doubtful" after I made my picks.  I had previously selected both Minnesota and Chicago.  I contacted Sinickal and Hopps notifying them that I was changing both of those picks.  It turns out that was irrelevant because instead of Chicago winning and Minnesota losing if I did not make the change, Minnesota won and Chicago lost after I made the pick.  So much for genius.  Each pick is using the spread (straight up is for wussies), and the betting line is from the same website each week as of the time of typing the entry. I keep a running tally of my record, plus my winnings/losses. We will pretend that I bet $100 on each game, with one game each week going for $250. Winnings/Losses will be calculated including a 10% vig, which just makes the math that much simpler. Now, on to the picks.

Atlanta Falcons - 6 1/2 v. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
If this was not the Thursday night game, this would most likely be my "Pick of the Week".  Matt Ryan is an early MVP candidate, and he gets Jake Matthews back.

San Diego Chargers + 2 1/2 at Buffalo Bills
No I am not a believer in the Bills, but this pick does violate the whole "west coast tram traveling east and playing in the early game always loses" rule.  Good thing the Chargers do not have to win, just cover.

Cincinnati Bengals -6 1/2 v. Tennessee Titans
I really wanted to take the Titans and the points here, but my conscious reminded me that the Titans just rolled over against the Cowboys last week.

Baltimore Ravens -1 1/2 at Cleveland Browns
Normally I would beware of a visiting favorite in a divisional game, but not when that game is against the Browns.  Plus the Ravens have had 10 days since they annihilated the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Green Bay Packers + 2 1/2 at Detroit Lions
A divisional rivalry, so the game should be close.  I look for both teams to carve open the other's secondary, so this might actually be an interesting game to watch.

New England Patriots -14 v. Oakland Raiders
Oakland is travelling across the country to play the Patriots.  Oakland is not very good.  This game could get ugly, early.

New Orleans Saints -10 v. Minnesota Vikings
We saw exactly how good the Vikings are without Adrian Peterson last week.  that string should continue.

Houston Texans -2 at New York Giants
I don't generally like road favorites, but the Giants not only are bad, but they seem ridiculously out of sync as well.

Philadelphia Eagles -6 1/2 v. Washington Whatever Their New Name is Going to Be
I do not feel strongly about this, as Washington can move the ball with Kirk Cousins at the helm, but then again, that was the Jaguars.  Eagles it is.

Dallas Cowboys pick 'em at St. Louis Rams
I honestly cannot figure out the Rams, but I know Chris Long is out, so that is one less pass rusher to chase Romo around the field.  I will take the Cowboys.

San Francisco 49ers - 2 1/2 at Arizona Cardinals
There is no way that the Arizona Cardinals can keep staying undefeated, and I feel if San Francisco is going to win this outright, then they are going to cover for sure.

Kansas City Chiefs +4 at Miami Dolphins
Even though Knile Davis is just a backup, he will still be the best running back on the field in this game.

Seattle Seahawks -4 1/2 v. Denver Broncos
Had Seattle not lost last week, I would have picked Denver in this one.  However, given what the Chargers did, the Seahawks have likely lost their Super Bowl hangover.

Carolina Panthers -3 v. Pittsburgh Steelers
The Steelers looked atrocious last week against the Ravens, and the Panthers look like a playoff team, even without Greg Hardy on the filed.

Chicago Bears +2 1/2 at New York Jets
If the Bears could go into San Francisco and beat the 49ers, they can definitely go to New Jersey to exploit the Jets week secondary.

BIG BET OF THE WEEK

Indianapolis Colts -7 at Jacksonville Jaguars
Really?  Only 7?  In what is practically a must-win game for the Colts?


Previous Week's Record: 7-9
Year to Date: 15-17
Big Bet Last Week: 0-1
Big Beat Year to Date: 1-1
Winnings (Losses) Last Week: ($455)
Winnings (Losses) Year-To-Date: ($385)

No comments:

Post a Comment