Sunday, September 22, 2013

Picks of the Week



Welcome to our Picks of the Week.  For a quick refresher on the procedures behind my picks (for those that are new - this will be new): Each pick is using the spread (straight up is for wussies), and the betting line is from the same website each week as of the time of typing the entry. I keep a running tally of my record, plus my winnings/losses. We will pretend that I bet $100 on each game, with one game each week going for $250. Winnings/Losses will be calculated including a 10% vig, which just makes the math that much simpler. On to the picks.

Boy did I take a beating last week.  In my picks league I went 9-7, which just goes to show you how much difference a point or two makes as I was slaughtered on here.  I feel certain that I will make it up this week, despite what happened last night.

Philadelphia Eagles -3 v. Kansas City Chiefs
Yes this game already occurred, which is why I locked in my selection with Sinickal and Hopps.  However, I missed it, which I would love to take back given that I previously hailed Kansas City (with 6 or 7 Prow Bowlers on last year's putrid team), which means they now have talent and a better coaching staff.  Sometimes I should actually listen to myself.

Houston Texans -2 1/2 at Baltimore Ravens
Just too many weapons on offense for the Texans, and the Ravens defense is not a traditional Ravens defense.  With Ray Rice as a question mark, it will be difficult for the Ravens to score enough to stay in this game.

Carolina Panthers -1 v. New York Giants
To be honest, I really do not know what to make of both of these teams.  I thought for sure that Carolina was going to beat the Bills after playing the Seahawks so close, but then they lost to Buffalo.  The Giants have talent, but they don't play like it.  I am going with the fact that Buffalo is better than expected, so Carolina might actually be a decent team.

Cincinnati Bengals +3 v. Green Bay Packers
The Packers offense seems to be clicking, but they have not faced a defensive line that rushes the passers as well as the Bengals do.  This is the type of game where Green Bay is going to miss the injured Bryan Bulaga.  Plus, Cincinnati's offense is good enough to stay with the Packers.

Minnesota Vikings -7 v. Cleveland Browns
I cannot believe that I am taking Minnesota giving a touchdown to anyone (excepting Jacksonville), but it seems as if Cleveland has given up on the season.  Yes the Trent Richardson trade makes sense in getting another first round pick, but it seems as if the season is gone for them when they bypass Campbell for Hoyer..

New England Patriots -7 v. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Talent-wise, this is not a 7 point game.  However, with all of the turmoil in Tampa, and with the fact that New England is literally playing offense with smoke-and-mirrors, but still getting along, this game could get out-of-control early.  Tampa's season could be over if they don't right the ship soon.

New Orleans Saints -7 v. Arizona Cardinals
A much improved Arizona team, but New Orleans seems to be much improved as well with the addition of Sean Payton.  With a fully healthy Larry Fitzgerald I would likely take the points, but since we do not really know what we have with the great receiver, I will take the Saints.

San Diego Chargers +3 at Tennessee Titans
San Diego has played incredibly well in the first two games, with Phillip Rivers hardly turning the ball over - or at least not as much as expected, and Eddie Royal catching TDs at a 50% clip.  Chris Johnson seems to be a warning to running backs that gain over 2,000 yards - those carries catch up to you in a hurry.  I know that Pacific teams coming east for 1:00 games are not supposed to win, that is why I am going to take the points.

Detroit Lions +1 1/2 at Washington Redskins
The league's worst pass defense versus Calvin Johnson.  The end.

Miami Dolphins -3 v. Atlanta Falcons
I think that overall the Falcons are the better team - when healthy.  On a neutral field, at full strength, the Falcons should win.  Neither of those two factors exist right now.

New York Jets -2 1/2 v.  Buffalo Bills 
Only if the Jets learn that they HAVE to run the ball.  Their front line did a great job against the Patriots, but then they put the game in the hands of the rookie quarterback Geno Smith.  If they run Chris Ivory, they win.  Buffalo is much better than expected, and E.J. Manuel has been refreshing for Bills fans, but the Jets defense will be just too much.

San Francisco 49ers -10 v. Indianapolis Colts
The Colts are a very good team - even playoff caliber, but the 49ers are the second best team in football right now, and will likely manhandle the Colts lines.  I do not yet know what is to happen to Aldon Smith, the Pro Bowl linebacker for the 49ers, who was picked up this morning on suspicion of DUI, but it shouldn't matter.

Jacksonville Jaguars +19 v. Seattle Seahawks
It isn't that I don't think Seattle is 19 points better than Jacksonville, I just think that they get ahead early and call off the dogs.  Remember, Gus Bradley, the Jaguars head coach, was the defensive coordinator in Seattle under Pete Carroll and they are great friends.

Chicago Bears -3 at Pittsburgh Steelers
The Bears have been playing great, and the Steelers have not.  Pittsburgh cannot run the football, meaning the opportunistic Bears defense can concentrate on the pass.  I think I foresee at least 2 interceptions.

Oakland Raiders -15 at Denver Broncos
Although not great, the Raiders are improving, and I think that Janikowski may just kick a field goal with 3 or 4 minutes left to cut the lead to 14.

BIG BET OF THE WEEK

St. Louis Rams +4 at Dallas Cowboys
The Cowboys could not handle the Chiefs defensive line last week, and the Rams' line with Robert Quinn and Chris Long is equally as dynamic.  Plus the Cowboys have not been running the football with any regularity, leaving the game in Romo's hands.  Cortland Finnegan and Janoris Jenkins are as good of a cornerback combination as their is.

Previous Week's Record: 5-11
Year to Date: 12-18-1
Big Bet Last Week: 1-0
Big Beat Year to Date: 2-0
Winnings (Losses) Last Week: ($550)
Winnings (Losses) Year-To-Date: ($370)

No comments:

Post a Comment