Saturday, January 8, 2011

Playoff Roundtable

Welcome to the 2011 NFL Playoffs Roundtable. Here with me today is Hopps. Absent from this week is Sinickal, who thinks that he is too good to participate in the Wildcard Round. Maybe he will sneak in for the Divisional Round games.

Our first game today is New Orleans at Seattle.

Pepster: I think that this is a no brainer. We have the Saints, nay, the defending Super Bowl Champion Saints, who are only in this wild card round because the Falcons threw up a NFC best 13-3, against the pathetic 7-9 Seahawks. The Saints would actually be the 2-seed in the NFC if the brackets were drawn up simply by records. I am taking the Saints as having way too much firepower for the lowly, shouldn't even be in the playoffs Seahawks.

Hopps: But the Saints are not what they were last year. Despite a relatively gaudy 11-5 record, they seem to be missing that extra gear that they had last year. Plus, the ridiculously accurate Drew Brees has thrown an interception in like 12 straight games. I am taking Seattle. I am not sure why, and not sure why not the Saints. I think Pete Carroll is ging to dumb luck his way into the next round and sheer stupidity and the classic Pete Carroll Face.

Pepster: Gutsy pick Hopps, and an almost great use of a Bill Simmons reference. On to this evening's game The New York Jets at the Indianapolis Colts. Hopps?

Hopps: Peyton and his squad on turf. I don't care who actually composes the squad, I am taking them.

Pepster: I am actually going to agree with you here. For as much as Indy has relied upon Peyton for oh so many years, Javarris James, from the U, has actually energized the running game a bit, and the Jets defenses has not been as vaunted as advertised. Plus, the Jets don't really disguise blitzes so much as they just bring everybody. Manning should be able to pick apart those blitzes most of the game, and a receiver is going to break a 5 y ard slant into a big game. I am going with the Colts.

What about tomorrow's games Hopps?

Hopps: I am going with the Ravens on the road. Charlie Weis is off to your neck of the woods at UF, and if he has already checked out, then I imagine the team has as well.

Pepster: I am going with the Ravens as well. The Chiefs have overachieved, and have been pretty balanced attach with Jamaal Charles leading a running back crew and Cassell throwing to Dwayne Bowe. A very fast defense with Derrick Johnson and Tamba Hali. I think running game will get some yards, but the Ravens run defense, led by Haloti Ngata (Ray Lewis would have been to obvious a mention), and Ed Reed is likely to get at least one really big pass breakup and/or interception. Ravens are too much. Keep an eye on the Chiefs in the next couple of years though.

Oh, and UF is not my "neck of the woods". I am 4 hours south, and in civilization. You are just jealous because it isn't cold down here in the winter.

As for the last game, I am going with the Packers. I think Vick is hurt a bit more than anyone would care to admit, and since its his quad, his mobility isn't going to be the best. The Packers defense can make a lot of big plays, and I want to see a ridiculously one-dimensional offense advance. By the way, why didn't the Packers sign DeShawn Wynn instead of the Saints? I guess the Packers do not even care about running.

Hopps: You are crazy. The Michael Vick redemption tour continues. Both QBs are injured, but Rodgers has yet to win a playoff game. EVER! His first is not coming at the Linc. I would have thought that you would have been the first one on the Free Ookie train!

Pepster: Free Ookie indeed! But, I need the Packers to win just in case Seattle does as you says and dumbs their way into the next round. That way my Bears can host the Seahawks in the next round. Wishful thinking I suppose.

Sinickal: Don't you mean MY Bears?!

Pepster and Hopps: Welcome to the party Sinickal.

By the way, my picks of the week:

New Orleans Saints -10 at Seattle Seahawks

Indianapolis Colts -2 v. New York Jets

Green Bay Packers + 2 1/2 at Philadelphia Eagles

BIG BET OF THE WEEK
Baltimore Ravens -3 at Kansas City Chiefs
Kansas City is the NFC West Champions having beat the Seahawks, the Rams, the 49ers and the Cardinals. That is four of their 10 wins.

Previous Week's Record 10-6
Year to Date: 104-73-5
Previous Week's Big Bet: 0-1
Big Bet Year to Date: 3-10
Previous Week's Winnings (Losses): $225
Winnings (Losses) Year to Date: $120

No comments:

Post a Comment