Saturday, April 4, 2009

Lessons Learned

As we are in the middle of a hard fought National Semi-Final game between Michigan State and Connecticut, I thought that I would just share my thoughts of the entire tournament (to date). Here is a list of the five things that I learned (or noticed) in this year's tournament.

5. The Griffin brothers are ugly. Really, really ugly. Ugly like you absolutely read about (or more particularly, are currently reading about).


See what I mean. Ugh! Times two. And after watching their parents in the stands, I just have to cheer, "M A M A, how do you think you got that way? Your Mama! Yeah, Yeah, Your Mama!"

4. Coach Pitino - what is Edgar Sosa doing on the bench for long, long stretches of time? I don't even say that because an (admittedly small) chance exists that we might be related. He is the only guy on the team that can legitimately handle the ball, and he is gifted offensively. In case you didn't notice Coach, you had a big problem scoring against Michigan State. I know that you don't think he plays defense well enough, but defense hasn't been your team's problem this year.


3. Levance Fields really should have led Pittsburgh to the NCAA Championship. Why, you might ask? Because watching him play helped me remember that the last two perfectly square point guards that led their teams far in the tournament ending up as champions; Mateen Cleeves and Khalid el-Amin. All 3 of those guards are exactly as tall as they are wide. In fact, when I googled, "Levance Fields Pictures" to add to this post, on the bottom of page 3 was a picture of Mateen Cleeves! I wish I made that up.

2. Goran Suton is really good. that guy can play. I had absolutely no idea before this tourney. He has a great mid-range jumper, a very good outside jumper because he doesn't force many shots, and he plays really tough defense inside. By far the player that has impressed me the most.

And, the number 1 thing I noticed during this tournament is ...

The remarkable resemblance of Oklahoma Guard Willie Warren to famous actor, Djimon Honsou. This picture from the school website doesn't do the resemblance justice, but it was the best one I could find. I swear I heard him argue with an official over a no-call by saying, "Give us, us Free (Throw)!" Maybe I was just drunk when I noticed it - you can decide.









What are some of the things you learned from this year's tourney?

No comments:

Post a Comment