Thursday, September 27, 2007

William Wirtz?

For starters - let's assume that I know as much about hockey as everyone else in the U.S., which means nothing. Then I see that William Wirtz, the longtime owner of the Chicago Blackhawks dies. I have no allegiance, affinity, or even interest for that matter, to Wirtz, the Blackhawks, or the NHL (except for the incredibly exciting quadruple overtime playoff games) until after watching PTI yesterday.

At the end of the show, during the segment where they talk about milestones, birthdays, anniversaries, etc., Wilbon is talking about Wirtz's death. Now, since I know specifically that MW and TK read this blog, I hope they will forgive me if I don't quote this correctly. Wilbon states something along the lines that he was always taught that if someone dies, "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all". Then he follows it up with, "To you, Tony". Now that is a statement. For everyone that thinks they have to talk all the time so that everyone knows what their opinions are on everything - please take a lesson from Michael Wilbon, who said an awful lot about Mr. Wirtz without saying a word at all.

Tony followed it up by saying, "They won a Stanley Cup".

Wilbon's response, "In 1961."

Kornheiser's reply was, "But he won one".

WOW!!!!!!!

Just for the record, this post has two purposes: 1) I was incredibly struck by the above conversation and I wanted to share it with those who may have missed it; and 2) Now I can honestly say I wrote something about the NHL, thus relieving myself from any further obligation of doing so ever again (at least until the next quadruple overtime playoff game).

No comments:

Post a Comment